Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Review: One Tiny Lie by K.A. Tucker

Title: One Tiny Lie
Author: K.A. Tucker
Source: Netgalley eARC
Rating: 5 MEGA stars
Genre: NA/Contemp Romance
Blurb:
Livie has always been the stable one of the two Cleary sisters, handling her parents' tragic death and Kacey's self-destructive phase with strength and maturity. But underneath that exterior is a little girl hanging onto the last words her father ever spoke to her. “Make me proud,” he had said. She promised she would...and she’s done her best over the past seven years with every choice, with every word, with every action.
Livie walks into Princeton with a solid plan, and she’s dead set on delivering on it: Rock her classes, set herself up for medical school, and meet a good, respectable guy that she’s going to someday marry. What isn’t part of her plan are Jell-O shots, a lovable, party animal roommate she can’t say ‘no’ to, and Ashton, the gorgeous captain of the men’s rowing team. Definitely him. He’s an arrogant ass who makes Livie’s usually non-existent temper flare and everything she doesn’t want in a guy. Worse, he’s best friends and roommates with Connor, who happens to fits Livie’s criteria perfectly. So why does she keep thinking about Ashton?
As Livie finds herself facing mediocre grades, career aspirations she no longer thinks she can handle, and feelings for Ashton that she shouldn’t have, she’s forced to let go of her last promise to her father and, with it, the only identity that she knows.

Goodreads /Amazon** / Author




Livie is all grown up now, and she is following her dreams by going to Princeton to become a Dr. A career and life choice she made when she was only nine, and her parents were still alive. Shortly after moving to college she meets Ashton, and soon learns that promises made when young are hard to live up to, and that changing as you grow up does not mean failure. Despite feeling that the "wrong" choice is right for her, she continues following her chosen path, but choosing to be with perfect Connor. Her parents, were they alive would be so proud of her. But will she finally be who she wants to be, instead of trying to please ghosts?

I loved Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker, so when I received One Tiny Lie I was over the moon. I quickly brushed all of my other reading and projects aside and read the book in one day. Then, like the glutton I am, I continued to ignore them again and re-read it. Yes, it really is that good.
Livie was a great character in TTB, and she really shines in this book. Her shyness is endearing and not at all annoying. The author gives us just enough background on her and Kacey that we know them without having to read TTB, but it doesn't feel like a rehash to those of us who have read it. Livie was flawed as person and believably so.

Ashton as a leading man is the perfect choice. K.A. Tucker balances his bad boy image, vulnerability, and sex appeal perfectly, mixing them and making a swoon worthy male that I can admire. He is most definitely book boyfriend material. I actually think that I have sworn off my other book boyfriends for him...well almost. Ashton is just that good.

The story is sickeningly sweet. Almost too sweet. But take a look around. I'm clearly a horror kind of girl. But I do have a girly side, which makes reading Contemp Romance make sense. There is a dark undercurrent to K.A.'s tales. Her characters are all touched by tragedy, and that makes her the perfect author for me to lose myself in. I can proudly say, yes I enjoyed this and I won't hide it in the closet with my pink clothes. (I don't hide skeletons in my closets. Just girl stuff.)

The emotional rollercoaster of this book was addicting. I want to read it again. But if I do, I might have to boycott K.A. Tucker, because I cannot ignore my responsibilities anymore. And yes, reading review books is one of my "jobs", but nothing, and I mean nothing about reading this book felt like a chore! It was pure amazing-ness from that first jello shot, to the end!

**link leads to my amazon associates link, and this blog will make money from any purchases you make from it. It DOES NOT affect the cost to you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment