Sunday, March 3, 2013

Review: Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)
Frostbite (Vampire Academy #2)
by Richelle Mead

Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose...

It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price...
Synopsis from Goodreads



This series is one of the most beloved teen vampire series, working its way into hearts and minds, and more importantly, pop culture, including an upcoming movie. So, why oh way do I not love this series too??? I feel so incredibly left out of the love! 

I have analyzed my feelings over these books, trying to figure out what irks me about it. I mean, the writing is good, the plot is fairly exciting. Throw in a little sexual tension, and you have all the makings for a great series. Then I figured it out. VA fangirls of the world unite in your intense dislike for what I am about to say... I. Hate. Rose.


Yup. I said it. Rose has very few redeemable qualities. She is constantly insulting her friends, and every time she opens her mouth, I cringe. Why did she say that?! What is she doing?! Her thoughts, actions and attitude make me hate being inside her head. GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!


On the plus side, this book was better than the first, and Rose was slightly less annoying by the end. She is beginning to channel her inner Dimitri, and growing up a little. She has been humbled, and I like her more already. I'll give the series one more chance to impress. 


In the meantime, I look forward to trying something else written by Richelle Mead. Her writing style is something I can definitely get into, if her characters give me the chance.




 Check out my review of Vampire Academy #1 here. Click on the images below for their goodreads pages.

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)
Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5)Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)

0 comments:

Post a Comment