Saturday, February 2, 2013

Review: The Edge of Never



Title: The Edge of Never
Author: J.A. Redmerski
Source: Reviewer Purchase
Star Rating: 4 Stars ****
Buy this book: The Edge of Never
Blurb: Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett had always been one to think out-of-the-box, who knew she wanted something more in life than following the same repetitive patterns and growing old with the same repetitive life story. And she thought that her life was going in the right direction until everything fell apart.
Determined not to dwell on the negative and push forward, Camryn is set to move in with her best friend and plans to start a new job. But after an unexpected night at the hottest club in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina, she makes the ultimate decision to leave the only life she’s ever known, far behind.
With a purse, a cell phone and a small bag with a few necessities, Camryn, with absolutely no direction or purpose boards a Greyhound bus alone and sets out to find herself. What she finds is a guy named Andrew Parrish, someone not so very different from her and who harbors his own dark secrets. But Camryn swore never to let down her walls again. And she vowed never to fall in love.
But with Andrew, Camryn finds herself doing a lot of things she never thought she’d do. He shows her what it’s really like to live out-of-the-box and to give in to her deepest, darkest desires. On their sporadic road-trip he becomes the center of her exciting and daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But will Andrew’s dark secret push them inseparably together, or tear them completely apart?

Due to sexual content and language, this book is recommended for 17+ – Adult Contemporary Women’s – New Adult Fiction  


Lori's Thoughts:

Le sigh. Dear infected, let's recap this book first ok? Cam's high school sweetheart dies as a result of a drunk driver, her next boyfriend cheats on her. Her brother kills some one in his own drunk driving crash and goes to jail. Cam is pissed at him for this. Her parents get divorced. Her best friend Nat is has a slutty mouth and a boyfriend who likes to snort that nose candy, and is also secretly in love with Cam. Nat and Cam get in a fight over the nose candy tool. Cam can't take her life anymore and gets a bus to Idaho because the woman who sold her ticket was eating a baked potato. Cam meets Andrew Parrish. She hate/loves him and he loves/protects her. Andrew's dad is dying of a brain tumor and Andrew is taking the bus to say goodbye. They make it to the great state of Wyoming. Then they decide to take a road trip together. The rest as they say is history. 

So why is this book making me sigh. Because it gave me brain aches. I liked it, even loved parts of it. But the end seriously pissed me off. First part of the book=huge, the middle part=good sized, the end=like 20 pages.  WTF? 


You know the saying that you can't please everyone. Well that is true. I am sure that there are tons of people head over heels in love with this book as a whole. Then there is the asshole's like me that let a little thing like a short ending write a negative toned review. Right? I totally embrace being the asshole here. I'm cool with it. 

I was in love with the book until they got to Texas. Then....I was like ok I'm ok with this. Then the epilogue. I was like OH HELL NAW. She's gonna go out like that. I feel like I got played for a fool. I was totally prepared for the tear jerking ending.

At the end of the day it's still a heart jerking amazing read. The ending was kind of the like the epilogue in the final Harry Potter book. I wanted more than the little tidbit that she gives us!!! 

Andrew Parrish is the kind of bad boy, sex walking that I love. He gets major points for making this book one hell of a ride. Why do men like this not exist in real life? 

"I won't have a one-night stand with you, but I will make you come, if you let me."
Where do I sign up?

I recommend this for readers over 17. People who love a good twist, and people who love a good coming of age story. 



2 comments:

  1. I still want to read this book, but at least now I know to go into it aware that it might piss me off. Great review! I found your blog through networked blogs. I am now following you there and through GFC. Please follow me back at sychofaeriesbookobsession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the fact that I wasn't ready for it to end and then it suddenly did. I was frustrated.

      Delete