Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kody Boye is officially on the automatic "to read" list!!!


On a cold, lonely night, a mysterious figure delivers a newly born infant into the arms of a poor woodcutter. That one act changes the child's life forever.

Odin Karussa grows up happy with the woodcutter, but throughout his youth his mind has always been set on becoming a knight, a protector of the people. There's only one problem--born a mage and incapable of wielding his power, he hides his gift away from his adopted father. One night the woodcutter stumbles into their tent and discovers him using magic. His father is terrified by the revelation and strikes Odin down. This act of betrayal is enough to force the fourteen year old Odin to flee to the capital and seek his fortune. Odin's magical abilites are discovered by a high mage and soon he is conscripted into the royal army to serve his king.

One stormy day, Odin is pulled from his afternoon classes and instructed to go to the courier's office--where, wrapped in parchment, a strange weapon has been delivered in his name. Shortly thereafter, panic ensues among the hierarchy when it is revealed that the weapon was created by the Drow. Fearing not only attack by the Drow, but that Odin is also a traitor, the court locks Odin within the castle's fifth tower, where only the most dangerous of villains are imprisoned.

Will Odin ever become the knight he desires to be?

A coming-of-age story about the power of might, perseverance, and the destinies that lie within us all, Blood begins a saga that follows one young man's journey toward what everyone else has deemed impossible.


I recieved this book from the author for an honest review.
Kody Boye is offically an author to watch!!!
Blood follows the story of Odin on his quest to become a knight. He was born to an unknown person and left with a man to raise as his own son.
What was good:
I love that Kody tells us the story behind the story before each of his books. Hearing that this tale was his Moms favorite made me smile.
The writing is drool worthy. I am not kidding here. I had so many passages highlighted on my kindle for this review. I think I will just use the first one I highlighted because it is a good sample of Kody's mastery of words:
"Morning came with the scent of dew and the glistening kiss of rain. Through he had slept for only a few mere hours, and while his body protested even the idea of rising and riding on horseback thorughout the rest of the day, Odin opened his eyes to a world that looked absolutely magical. Water droplets reflected golden-orange light in every direction, creating miniature rainbows across his plane of vision; the plants glowed green, as if new and virgin-birthed; and the earth seemed fresh and new, almost as if the devastating storm had not happened and thrust him into this horrible situation. Everything seemed godlike, in a way, as colors pulsated in ways never before and the light appeared more physical than it seemed entirely possible. Beauty couldn't describe what Odin saw through his eyes at that particular moment."pg. 31.
Wow I think my head exploded when I read that. I was like ok..I'm in let's go for this ride.
Odin is a great character. He overcomes alot of problems in this book. He is everything you want and need in a hero. He is smart, strong, well read, magical, good with a weapon, and above all brave. Even when it seems like he was going to give up he didn't.
Even though it is a fantasy the character were very real. Through Kody's descriptions of both the places and people in this book I was transported. Isn't that the point of reading books.
What wasn't so good:
I really don't have anything too bad to say about the book. There we some minor typos but I have made myself pretty clear that I do not ever judge a book by typos. However, I will mention it because I know it drives some people nuts.
The fantasy genre is not really for me. While I enjoyed this book and its characters that was because of Kody's writing. If another less talented writer had told this story I wouldn't have been as enthralled as I was with this book. If you are a fan of fantasy than definately get this book. Now I am patiently waiting for his YA project with Rhiannon Frater!!!!! After reading two of his books and being a huge fan of Rhiannon Frater I can tell that book is going to rock my face off!!!!



Kody Boye was born and raised in Southeastern Idaho. Since his initial publication in the Yellow Mama Webzine in 2007, he has gone on to sell nearly three-dozen stories to various markets. He is the author of the short story collection Amorous Things, the novella The Diary of Dakota Hammell, the zombie novel Sunrise and the dark fantasy novel Blood. His fiction has been described as ‘Surreal, beautiful and harrowing’ (Fantastic Horror,) while he himself has been heralded as a writer beyond his years(Bitten by Books.) He currently lives and writes in the Austin, Texas area.
*from goodreads.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment